Tuesday 19 January 2010

Be thankful

Sometimes things just turn up when you don't expect them, just when you need that little fillip to get you through the week.




And just as I was in danger of sliding down the slippery slope of January gloom, my guardian robin popped by to nod hello, there was a knock at the door and the postman greeted me at the side gate with an armful of parcels.




Needless to say, two were for The General who is generally the recipient of a stream of widgets and gadgets and thingummy jigs for one of his tippy-tappy electronic boxes. And who am I to grumble, for he is the IT department for my little cottage, and I am most exceedingly grateful to him for his competence and expertise.

But joy of joys, one brown paper parcel was for me, and it brought a smile to my face, and a spring in my step, as I had quite forsworn the guilty pleasures of parcels in the post, and little yarny, stitchy presents to myself in the light of our reformed circumstances.



Would you not have been excited to rip off the brown paper and find these most fulsomely Cathish contents? And I have dearest Bekimarie to thank for such a parcel of fun! Beki has started the New Year with a swing, and has challenged herself to do all sorts of amazing and wonderful things in order that 2010 can be a year of achievement for her - and nineteen days into the new year she is crossing things off the list in quick succession. Do go and congratulate her (just click on her name above) on her industry and initiative, for I am sure that she puts the rest of us to shame - me in particular with my basket of nearly-finished items which grows by the day in an incomprehensibly Topsy-like fashion. (Not to mention the cupboard of things yet to be started.)



My Cath Kidston Home Ideas Journal is going to be a very stylish, and I think kind, way of constructing a decorating and maintenance to-do list for the Head Chef when he shortly has time on his hands whilst I am busy putting the world to rights. I have had a bit of a thing about ring binders and stationery ever since I was an even smaller person than I am now, and this has so much space for lists (and more stickers!) and little Cathish coloured wallets to put things in, and squared paper and lined paper, and room audits - I feel quite overcome with the potential of it all. The Head Chef is going to be so busy putting all those ideas of mine into practice.



And I have some red spotty Cath tissues to match my red spotty executive briefcase (which I forgot to bring home from work today), and I can take my fairy cakes to work in red spotty cake cases, and be the envy of the workforce. Cheery redness, indeed!



I have hung my very stylish heart up in my B&B sitting room (won't you come and stay, and admire it?), and I might even let them have a sniff of my Be Thankful candle, but I think perhaps it would be a good thing for me to leave it in the packaging and put it by my computer, in case I ever forget to be thankful for all the blessings I have.




And last but not least Beki sent me one of her lovely pincushions (if you would like one, you can find them in her shop here), and it was all enclosed in a little bag of birdy fabric - the special things in my life are always heralded by robins. So, Beki, I am so thankful for your generosity, and love the beautiful things you have sent me to brighten a grey and drear and bone-chilling day - a cornucopia of Cathness and redness to warm me to the core.

Blessings seem to be flowing my way at the moment - several kind people have given me awards and tags and all things nice, which I will get on to very shortly.

And one last little blessing - I was sitting looking out of my window at the robin sitting on the wheelbarrow, a little robin who is sure to visit whenever I need cheering up. Robins are, of course, messengers from heaven, as are angels. A very good and wise friend of mine, who knows about these things, told me once that if you are in need of help, don't turn away that stranger at your door, because he will be the stranger answering your prayers.

So I smiled at the robin, and surveyed the garden and the orchard, and wondered how we were ever going to be able to manage it all, and knock it into some sort of shape, or even make a living out of our precious land. And then the phone rang, and an angel spoke. Now you may jest (especially if you are a General), but the caller was a stranger wanting to learn about permaculture from us, in return for his labour on our smallholding. I think perhaps my prayers have been answered.




So thank you Beki, thank you angels and robins; and I hope you, dear readers, have something in your life to be thankful for, too.




53 comments:

cathleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

What a beautiful package of goodies. It is so true, blessing can come in so many unexpected forms. It sounds like you have quite a few of your own. How lovely for your robin to herald your gifts, how very thoughtful of him.

Bley said...

What a lovely January pick-me-up from a friend!

Lucille said...

What a lovely post. Our robins are so numerous that they are already squaring up to each other for their spring territory. If I haven't refilled the feeder they come and eye me up in a most meaningful way.

MelMel said...

Beki is a kind lady, such lovely goodies!

I too believe in the goodness of the Robin...whenever I go to the Village of my dreams I always see the Robin, we call him the Styal Robin...I'm sure he is keeping our dream alive by his many appearences...

xxx

Floss said...

So good to hear about your answered prayers! I can't wait to see how this works out for you...

And what a lovely parcel! I have started a Gratitude Journal, as part of the book Denise recommended - Simple Abundance. I can't tell you how good it is to be directed towards thankfulness instead of despair, while I'm ill and Son 1 has a broken ankle and etc... You really can(t beat thankfulness!

...Nina Nixon... said...

I love robins - they are so friendly and good natured and very, very inquisitive especially if your digging!!

Love all the Cath goodness going on over at your place- such a lovely and thoughtful parcel.

take care,

Nina xx

Floss said...

PS love your wellies story on my blog! I wear wellies far too often in the winter (just so easy, with a dog and muddy garden), and frequently go into our local supermarket wearing them. I THINK I get away with it by being the eccentric English woman...

inmykitchen said...

Robins always brighten my day. We have an occasional visitor who is very chirpy. How lovely that yours was the bringer of cheer on a grey day. I will have to be more watchful in the future.

Jo x

Marigold Jam said...

How lovely - what a super surpirse package. I am so glad your prayers were answered - God moves in mysterious ways indeed!

Jane x

menopausalmusing said...

I got home from work mid afternoon today and there was a robin singing its heart out in the tree by the front door. It made me comment that it was almost like it sensed spring was not going to be long in coming (please). My, but what a gorgeous parcel you got there.............. I am the IT guy in this house..... just how scary is that???? It scares ME.....

Gina said...

What a lovely parcel of goodies. Perfect for cheering up any miserable January day.

wonderwoman said...

we are very lucky and have two robins in our garden! what a lovely parcel - surprises are just brilliant!!

xxx

jennyflowerblue said...

I never knew that about robins- but I'm so glad yours bought you a helper. What a lovely gift to lighten your spirit. xx

Serenata said...

What a lovely surprise, a gorgeous lot of goodies from Beki. :-)

Robins are beautiful and how what a wonderful way your prayers have been answered!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such a beautiful post. It is so easy to forget sometimes quite how lucky we are, and we should all be a little more grateful for the little things that mean so much.xx

Beck said...

I loved hearing about the robin, what a dear little bird. Your parcel looks lovely and isn't it so enjoyable to receive something special in the mail? There is so much to be grateful for, I am so grateful for my family, for my home and for all the great connections I have made in blogland xo

Lululiz said...

I had the fattest little robin dangling off the bird feeder this morning. He looked as round as a ball, lol, it was such a lovely sight though.

Unknown said...

Just love when Mr. Postman bring such fun goodies. I can smell you tart now... it's a good one.... and the C.K.. well, jealous

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

What a delight Beki is and so glad the parcel arrived at the right time to bring a smile to your face

Victoria xx

. said...

A very belated Happy New Year! I've just taken a photo of the raised beds built with your advice ringing in the spade brigades ears...I'm a very good giver of other peoples advice, I'll post it soon.
Beautiful packages, x

Pipany said...

What an amazing gift Pomona. I am feeling very thankful today - the house is tidy-ish for once, the kids are not scrapping and I have a new fluffy duvet at last. Not too bad a life is it? xx

Pink Feather Paradise said...

What a fantastic day, I have heard (or read) that all the signs and help are there you just have to slow down and take notice to recognise them...

x Alex

Beki said...

Pleased your parcel arrived safely and it bought a smile to your face even more pleased that your prayers seem to of been answered.
We all need a bit of cheering up in January and i'm thankful that I was the one to help do that with you.
I think next Christmas I will ask Rich to buy me less and then surprise me with a little gift in the bleak month of January.

Take care
Beki xxx

Michela said...

Robins are just supposed to bring snow here..hope Robins will visit you very often this year..
Lovely goodies from that kind and generous lady..xxx

Tina said...

Lovely goodies, Pomona. You are a very lucky girl!
Everyday I am thankful for my family and friends and for us having a house, being healthy and having food to nourish us.
xx

ginny said...

how lovely pomoma,
i believe in angels too.... oh and i have an IT dept for a husband though sometimes he updates programs and changes things just when i am getting used to them which is not so good.
what lovely gifts too,
wishing you a lovely weekend with more friendly robins and helpful angels. x

Cathy said...

I feel completely better now I have heard of your heartwarming tales Pomona. Lovely Cath Kidston stuff indeed. We have a lovely little robin or two in the garden and they sometimes start eating from the birdtables before I have finished filling them up. Beki is to be congratulated for her endeavours.

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

Your doggie's face says it all, content in the good life we all should be thankful for.
Susan

Chrissie said...

Ahhhh, pretties and a surprise from robin! My little robin comes down to visit whenever I go to feed the hens - he seems to like layers pellets ....

Unknown said...

What a wonderful parcel. How kind. I think it is a very good thing to step back to take the time to be thankful for all our blessings. Lovely post! suzie xxx

Anonymous said...

I have several nearly finished baskets / work not in progress. I am working my way slowly through but keep getting distracted by new stuff! What a fab parcel to recieve and what a totally gorgeous dog! Have a lovely weekend, Kate xx

Mousy Brown said...

What a lovely way to be cheered up! I think everybody should send and receive a parcel of goodies in January - wouldn't it make those short dark days so much more bareable?!

Sophie - Chez Sophie said...

Hello
Hope your having a lovely weekend.
If you pop over to my blog you have ana award waiting for you.
Luv sophie xxx

Jak said...

I always think that a robin is a very special guest, but combined with collared doves, blackbirds, various tits and a thrush, it is all seems too perfect.
Sucy lovely gifts, such lovely friends.
Jak x

Anonymous said...

Aww such a sweet post...especially the little doggy expression at the bottom :o) You have some very pretty gifts there.
I have a guardian Robin xx

Warm Hugs

Sumea

Anonymous said...

I have decided to come back and tell You about my guardian Robin. Ever since I lost my Lovely uncle Ray(who like my Nan died on my Birthday). I have been visited by a Robin, either when I am in need of cheering up (and uncle Ray was the cheeriest soul imaginable) or to tell me that something nice is about to happen. I now call all Robin red breasts Robby-Ray. It's was just to Lovely to hear of someone else with similar experience. And don't get me started on angels... I'll be here all day :o)

xxx

Sumea

Unknown said...

Thank you for joining my giveaway! Good luck. :)

Sarah said...

What loveliness was delivered to your door. I love spotting robins in the garden, they are indeed very special although i generally have to check the naughty cats haven't spotted them too!
Lovely blog by the way.

Tallis said...

A good friend always knows when to pick you up, even if they down know if your hitting a bit of gloom, at the time.

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

How lovely of Beki to send you those wonderful gifts. I haven't smelt that candle fragrance before, I imagine it to smell spicy and warming.

I have enjoyed the presence of birds (mainly blue tits)by my workroom window. I have put food there and watch them feed. My 2 cats watch with their tales wagging, so close and yet so far away... Funny to watch.

Warm wishes
Isabelle x
Isabelle x

renaissance said...

What a wonderful package to receive in the post.

silverpebble said...

It is my belief that robins are filled with charisma and chirpy goodwill. What other bird continues to sing understated little songs right through the winter?

Your parcel is heartwarming. Something to be thankful for indeed. How very very lovely.

I am about to take up Tif's challenge. What have been your trickiest moments so far? Do you have any tips for staying on the utmost wagon?

Thecraftytrundler said...

A lovely, cheery post!! What a lovely parcel, aren't bloggers great!!
So glad it's February on Monday. Spring is on its way : )

Sharon xx

dancing fool said...

Wow! I really heart your blog. I spent the morning reading the entries and had such a great time that I almost forgot I had a cold and I was suppose to feel horrible :)

Since I'm from the States I had no idea where Kent is, so I googled it and it's just a beautiful place. I also like the pics you have of your B&B. If I ever traveled your way I would definitely want to stay in your B&B.

Thanks again for a great blog.

Jeanette

Rowan said...

Such a lovely, bright, summery looking post. January can be a hard month to get through and help from friendly robins and unexpected packages filled with good things can help enormously.

harmony and rosie said...

Helle Pomona, I'm betting you must be very busy. I think a parcel like that would definitely be a joy of joy moment, you are very lucky and I feel just a little bit envious. And the next time I see a robin I shall be expecting a visitor on the doorstep fairly pronto - and I don't mean some chap wanting to read the meter. By the way, I'm wondering whether I'm suffering from chilblains and if so, do you think it may be a result of me reading your blog? Hope you are well and not too exhausted.
xx

Michela said...

Hello Pomona..hope you're ok! xxx

Catherine said...

What a fabulous parcel to get! A lovely pick-me-up! Cx

Louise said...

I've been having those very same thoughts about my garden. What with being laid up after my operation and a long holiday, my garden is looking a sketch. Now I have my fitness back, it's too cold to get out there. I have those very same tissues and cake cases, they are lovely. How I smile every time I see my robin, he is such a treat to see. x

Sew Scrumptious said...

I've just blogged about your blog as its one of my favourites!http://sewscrumptious.blogspot.com/

Pretty Whatnots said...

I have been taught that if you feel true gratitude in life then good things follow. Although some days (especially in the winter months) this can seem hard I have now learnt from experience that this is right. You have a beautiful blog and when I have a few more minutes spare I plan on having a good look at your jam recipes! Anna x

Hillcrest Cottage said...

Any lover of Cath Kidston is a friend of mine already! I randomly found your blog and think I will love following you!
Please also visit me at:
http://hillcrestcottagelife.blogspot.com/
Sincerely,
Bev

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails